If you have recently dyed your hair and ended up with brassy or orange tones, you are not alone. This is a common problem that many women face after getting their hair colored. It can be frustrating, especially if you were hoping for a different result. But, all is not lost. There are ways to fix brassy hair after dyeing. Here, we will discuss a few tips and tricks to help you get the hair color you were aiming for.
Understanding Brassy Hair
Before we dive into fixing brassy hair, it’s important to understand why it happens in the first place. When you lighten your hair, whether it’s through bleach or hair dye, it goes through different stages of color. You start with a dark base color, then move to red, orange, yellow, and finally, blonde. When you get stuck in the orange or brassy stage, it’s because the previous pigments in your hair weren’t lifted enough.
Causes of Brassy Hair
Now that you know what brassy hair is, it’s time to understand what causes it. Here are a few culprits for brassy hair:
• Overprocessing: Brassy hair can occur when you over-process your hair with bleach or dye. If you leave bleach on for too long, it can cause your hair to turn orange or yellow.
• Hard water: Using hard water to wash your hair can lead to brassy hair. Hard water contains minerals that can build up on your hair over time, causing it to turn brassy.
• Incorrect Tone Choice: Choosing the wrong hair dye toner can also cause brassy hair. If the toner you choose is not strong enough, it won’t neutralize the orange tones in your hair.
• Sun Exposure: Sun exposure can cause your hair to turn brassy over time due to the UV rays.
Now that you know what can cause brassy hair let’s look at some ways to fix it.
Using Purple Shampoo
One of the easiest ways to fix brassy hair is by using purple shampoo. Purple shampoo contains purple pigments that work to neutralize the orange or yellow tones in your hair. It’s important to choose a high-quality purple shampoo as this will make all the difference in how effective it is. You can use purple shampoo once a week to help maintain the color of your hair.
Toning Your Hair
If purple shampoo isn’t cutting it, you may need to tone your hair. This process involves applying a hair toner to your hair. Hair toners contain the opposite color on the color wheel to cancel out unwanted tones. For example, if you have orange tones, you will need to use a blue-based toner to neutralize it. If you have yellow tones, you’ll need to use a purple-based toner. You can also mix purple shampoo and conditioner into your toning mix to increase its effectiveness.
Try a Color Remover
Another solution to fixing brassy hair is by using a color remover. A color remover will remove the dye from your hair, getting rid of the orange or brassy tones. It’s important to note that a color remover won’t work if your hair was naturally dark and you used bleach to lighten it. While color removers can be effective, they can also dry out your hair. Be sure to condition your hair heavily after using a color remover.
Apply a Gloss Treatment
If you want to restore your hair’s vibrancy, consider using a gloss treatment. A gloss treatment will add shine to your hair while also depositing pigment to counteract the orange or brassy tones. Gloss treatments can last up to six weeks and are a great way to maintain the color of your hair. It’s important to choose the right gloss treatment for your hair color to get the best results.
Prevention is key to avoiding brassy hair altogether. Here are a few preventative measures you can take:
• Don’t wash your hair too often: Washing your hair too often can strip the color from your hair, causing it to turn brassy.
• Use a toner: Use a toner after lightening your hair to neutralize any orange or yellow tones.
• Use a high-quality hair dye: Use a high-quality hair dye that won’t cause damage to your hair.
• Avoid hard water: If you have hard water, use a clarifying shampoo once a month to get rid of any buildup on your hair.
Fixing brassy hair after dyeing is possible with the right products and techniques. It’s important to choose high-quality products, such as purple shampoo and toners, to get the best results. Prevention is key, so take the necessary steps to avoid brassy hair altogether. If you’re not sure how to proceed, always consult a professional to avoid any potential damage to your hair..