Everyone wants healthy, buoyant, and luscious hair, and with keratin treatment, this is possible. This treatment has quickly gained popularity among those who want to tame frizz, add manageability, and improve the overall quality of their hair. Keratin is a type of protein that is naturally found in our hair. It helps build and strengthen the hair's structure, and assists in retaining moisture. Therefore, it's no surprise that keratin treatment's popularity is on the rise.
In this article, we will talk about the effectiveness of keratin treatment, its benefits, risks, and everything else you need to know before opting for it.
What is Keratin Treatment?
Keratin treatment is a semi-permanent hair-straightening method that smooths out frizz and leaves the hair silkier and shinier. During the treatment, a stylist applies a keratin solution to your hair and then seals it in with a flat iron. The keratin bonds are fused to the hair cuticle using heat, which leads to a more manageable and frizz-free hair for several months.
How does Keratin Treatment work?
Keratin treatment works by filling the gaps in the hair cuticle, which is essential in providing a more manageable and silky texture. Hair that is damaged always has gaps between the hair cuticles. These gaps result in dehydration, frizz, and breakage. Keratin fills these gaps, making hair look fuller, shinier, and healthier. The treatment starts by washing hair with a clarifying shampoo to remove any dirt and oil. The stylist then applies the keratin solution into the hair and leaves it for a few minutes. Once the hair is dry, they iron it using a flat iron to seal the keratin into the hair.
What are the Benefits of Keratin Treatment?
1. Reduces Frizz: Keratin treatment helps to eliminate frizz, tangles and adds more definition to your hair. It leaves your hair looking more polished and sleek, despite weather conditions.
2. Enhances Manageability: With keratin treatment, you won't have to spend hours styling your hair every morning. It adds shine and smoothness to your hair, making it more manageable during your morning routine.
3. Makes Hair Healthier: Keratin treatment plumps up the hair strands with extra keratin, providing essential nutrients that hair needs to look and feel healthier. It also seals the cuticles to prevent further damage, which keeps your hair from becoming brittle.
4. Saves time: With keratin treatment, you don't have to spend a lot of time styling your hair, saving you hours of your day. It also makes your hair more manageable, so you'll save time on days when you're running late.
5. Lasts Longer: Keratin treatment is a semi-permanent hair straightening solution that can last up to 3-4 months. This means you won't have to go to the salon often, which saves you time and money.
What are the Risks of Keratin Treatment?
1. Contains Formaldehyde: Some keratin treatments contain formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen. Formaldehyde is used to preserve the keratin and keep it from spoiling quickly. This is why it is essential to choose a keratin treatment that is formaldehyde-free.
2. Strong Chemicals: Keratin treatment involves the use of strong chemicals that can irritate your scalp, especially if you have sensitive skin. It is crucial to do a patch test before you do the keratin treatment to avoid any adverse effects.
3. Expensive: Keratin treatment is costly, and it might not fit everyone's budget. The price of the treatment depends on various factors, such as the hair length, thickness, and type.
How Effective is Keratin Treatment on Hair?
Keratin treatment is highly effective in treating frizzy and unmanageable hair. It leaves the hair looking more polished, healthier, and more manageable. It also reduces the risk of hair breakage and split ends. However, the effectiveness of the treatment depends on various factors such as hair type, texture, and length. Thick, coarse, and curly hair might require multiple treatments, while straight, fine hair might require only one treatment.
Keratin treatment can surely benefit your hair by making it look more polished, healthier, and more manageable. It also keeps the hair from becoming brittle, which reduces the risk of hair breakage and split ends. However, it is essential to know the risks and factors that influence the treatment's effectiveness. Before opting for keratin treatment, do your research, and choose an experienced stylist who uses formaldehyde-free treatments. With that said, keratin treatment is an excellent solution to manage unmanageable hair and keep it looking healthy and shiny..