Formaldehyde-free and regular keratin hair treatment have been in the market for quite some time now. With the increasing demand for keratin treatments, customers are swamped with choices, making it a daunting task to choose the right one.
In this article, we will delve into the differences between formaldehyde-free and regular keratin hair treatment, highlighting the pros and cons of each treatment method.
What is Keratin Treatment?
Keratin treatment is a semi-permanent hair straightening treatment that uses heat to bond protein to the hair strands. The process of keratin treatment involves applying a keratin-based serum to the hair which is then spread evenly. The serum is then sealed on the hair by using heat. Keratin treatments aim to provide smoother, shinier, and softer hair.
Formaldehyde-Free Keratin Treatment
Formaldehyde is a type of gas that is used in certain products like keratin treatments. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen and can cause numerous health problems like skin allergy, asthma, and even cancer. Some countries, like Canada and the European Union, have completely banned products that contain formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde-free keratin treatment is a safer alternative to the regular keratin treatment. These treatments are free of formaldehyde releasing agents like methylene glycol, which are commonly used in many traditional keratin treatments.
Benefits of Formaldehyde-Free Keratin Treatment
1. Healthier: Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments use natural ingredients that are gentle and nourishing to hair, making it healthier in the long run. Hair treated with formaldehyde-free keratin treatment is less likely to become brittle and break.
2. Safe: Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments do not use chemicals like formaldehyde that can cause health problems.
3. Long-lasting: Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments last just as long as regular keratin treatments, making it a great alternative.
Cons of Formaldehyde-Free Keratin Treatment
1. Results are not as dramatic: Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments do not provide the same straightening results as regular keratin treatments. For people with very curly and frizzy hair, it may not be the best choice.
2. Expensive: Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments can be more expensive than regular treatments.
Regular Keratin Treatment
Regular keratin treatment often contains formaldehyde or formaldehyde releasing agents like methylene glycol. When these products are heated, they release formaldehyde gas, which helps to bond the protein to the hair, making it straighter.
Benefits of Regular Keratin Treatment
1. Dramatic results: Regular Keratin treatments provide more dramatic straightening results than formaldehyde-free keratin treatments.
2. Lasting Results: Regular keratin treatments provide longer-lasting results than formaldehyde-free keratin treatments.
Cons of Regular Keratin Treatment
1. May Cause Health Problems: The formaldehyde used in regular keratin treatments can cause health problems like skin allergies, asthma, and even cancer.
2. Damaging to Hair: Regular keratin treatments can cause hair to become brittle, break, and significantly damage it, especially when overused.
When it comes to choosing a keratin treatment method, the reasons behind it vary from person to person. Formaldehyde-free keratin treatments are a safer alternative, especially for those concerned about their health. Regular keratin treatments, on the other hand, provide more visible and lasting results for those seeking dramatic straightening.
Overall, when making a decision between formaldehyde-free and regular keratin treatments, it is important to consider not just the desired end result but also the potential risks involved. Consultation with a professional stylist before undergoing any hair treatment is highly recommended..